You don't have to travel out of town or blast into the county to enjoy your bike. Champaign County Bikes has put together a great map of bicycle friendly routes to get you arround the C-U area safely and comfortably.
There are other good places to ride in the area that might be worth checking out.
1) Lake of the Woods - Located on the north side of Mahomet, this dedicated bike/walking path provides great scenery and an escape from the traffic. Great for a short morning or afternoon getaway. The trail is about 3 miles long and can be accessed from Prairieview Road, Rte 47, or Crowley Road, from east to west respectively.
2) Meadowbrook Park - Located at the intersection of Vine and Windsor in Urbana, this is a great family friendly park with a large childrens playground. Bike paths and scenery with a unique sculpture exhibit make it unique.
3) Crystal Lake Park - Located just north of downtown Urbana, this is a nice, scenic route around the lake. If you're downtown this is a great addition to your ride if you want to take the long way home.
4) Homer Lake - Located northwest of Homer, IL this is a scenic area with lightly traveled roads that would make a nice alternative to going to Lake of the Woods.
5) Kickapoo State Park - Located ~30 miles east of C-U, Kickapoo has a lot to offer. In addition to having great mountain bike trails, the park is a great place for a casual ride around the lakes, so long as you can deal with some hills!